First Meeting of IEA's Clean Energy Labour Council
IEA's new Clean Energy Labour Council will meet to discuss how to enhance global dialogue on the labour aspects of designing people-centred and inclusive energy transitions.
Convened by the IEA Executive Director Fatih Birol, the Clean Energy Labour Council will provide a forum to foster dialogue between the IEA, its stakeholders and the labour sector, a key and central voice in just transitions.
As part of the IEA’s increased focus on the people-centred dimension of our clean energy future, this Council builds off the work of the Global Commission on People-Centred Clean Energy Transitions, an independent panel of 30 members who worked together to produce a series of actionable recommendations that drew on recent experiences and best practices from around the world.
The first Meeting will be publicly livestreamed on Wednesday, 9 March 2022 from 14:00 to 15:45 (CET) and will mark an opportunity for all members to introduce their perspective on the key labour issues affecting clean energy transitions.
- Ms. Sharan Burrow (Co-Chair), General Secretary, International Trade Union Confederation (ITUC)
- Mr. Bheki Ntshalintshali (Co-Chair), General Secretary, Congress of South African Trade Unions (COSATU)
- Ms. Rhoda Boateng, Programme Coordinator, ITUC Africa
- Ms. Bea Bruske, President, Canadian Labour Congress (CLC)
- Mr. Chandra Bhushan, President, International Forum for Environment, Sustainability and Technology, India
- Mr. Plamen Dimitrov, President, Bulgarian Confederation of Independent Trade Unions (CITUB)
- Ms. Peggy Hessen Følsvik, First Deputy Leader, Norwegian Confederation of Trade Unions (LO Norway)
- Ms. Carmen Foro, General Secretary, Unified Workers' Central (CUT Brazil)
- Mr. Brad Markell, Executive Director, AFL-CIO Industrial Union Council
- Mr. Frederik Moch, Head of Department for Structural Policy, Industry and Service, Federal Executive Board of the German Trade Union Confederation (DGB)
- Ms. Lebogang Mulaisi (COSATU Sherpa), Labour Market Policy Coordinator, COSATU
- Ms. Muriel Penicaud, Ambassador at the Permanent Representative of France to the OECD, Former Minister of Labour, France
- Ms. Elly Rosita Silaban, President, Confederation of All Indonesian Trade Unions (KSBSI)
- Ms. Samantha Smith (ITUC Sherpa), Director, Just Transition Centre, ITUC
- Ms. Laurence Tubiana, CEO, European Climate Foundation
- Mr. Ayuba Wabba, President, ITUC and President, Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC)
- Mr. Shoya Yoshida, General Secretary, International Trade Union Confederation - Asia Pacific (ITUC-AP)