The IEA is an admitted observer to UNFCCC negotiations at COP27
The energy sector is responsible for almost three-quarters of greenhouse gas emissions, but is also inseparable from people’s livelihoods and aspirations. With its commitment to shaping a secure and sustainable energy future for all, the IEA, as an autonomous intergovernmental organisation with 31 member countries and 11 associate countries, contributes to the climate negotiations under the Paris Agreement implementation guidelines, jointly with the OECD.
Through World Energy Outlook 2022, Africa Energy Outlook, Global Hydrogen Review 2022, and other reports, the IEA has detailed what is needed for governments, companies, investors and citizens to decarbonise the energy sector and put emissions on a path in line with a temperature rise below 1.5 degrees Celsius.
IEA’s objectives at COP27 on the path towards net-zero emissions
- The IEA aims to help countries formulate goals and implement actions consistent with net-zero emissions in the energy sector, in a people-centred manner and while achieving the SDG 7 objectives;
- The IEA contributes to the climate negotiations of the Paris Agreement implementation by sharing insights, reports and expertise to support countries to reach their nationally determined contributions (NDCs) commitments and long-term objectives;
- The IEA aims to strengthen its engagement with key countries and stakeholders, through interactions with experts from international organisations, government agencies, the private sector, NGOs, media and civil society.
The 27th version of the United Nations Climate Change Conference, COP27, will take place under the Presidency of Egypt from 6-18 November 2022 at Sharm El-Sheikh. The IEA is at the heart of the global dialogue on energy, providing stakeholders with authoritative analyses, data, policy advice and real-world solutions to reach a secure, equitable and sustainable energy future.
Climate change is a global challenge, and a key priority for the IEA
At COP27, the IEA will share its insights and expertise through a wide range of events to support countries in their efforts to implement their NDCs and meet the long-term objectives of the Paris Agreement. IEA data, analysis and solutions provide support and guidance for countries on their energy transition pathways.
- The IEA can help countries understand the global state-of-play, opportunities and challenges in the energy space, thanks to its statistics and tracking mechanisms, such as the CO2 status report and methane tracker;
- The IEA can help frame efforts in the context of sustainable energy pathways, through the World Energy Outlook 2022 and the Net Zero Emissions by 2050 (NZE) Scenario;
- The IEA can guide and support countries as they develop and implement sustainable policies including decarbonising electricity generation, boosting innovation, tackling emissions in sectors such as iron and steel, developing integrated policies, and improving energy access.
Find out more about the IEA Experts attending COP27 events:
- Fatih Birol – Executive Director: 8-9 November
- Mary Burce Warlick – Deputy Executive Director: 14-17 November
- Tim Gould – Chief Energy Economist: 11-15 November
- Alessandro Blasi – Special Advisor to the Executive Director: 8-9 November
- Christophe McGlade – Head of the Energy Supply Unit: 8-12 November
- Daniel Wetzel – Head of Tracking Sustainable Transitions Unit: 15-16 November
- Pablo Hevia-Koch – Head of Unit (Acting) - Renewable Integration and Secure Electricity: 14-16 November
- Melanie Slade – Senior Programme Manager, Energy Efficiency in Emerging Economies Programme : 13-17 November
- Ali Al-Saffar – Middle East and North Africa Programme Manager: 8-11 November
- Nadim Abillama – Middle East and North Africa Programme Officer: 14-17 November
- Jinsun Lim – Energy and Environment Policy Analyst: 6-16 November
- Luca Lo Re – International Climate Policy Analyst: 13-16 November
- Sanne van der Mijl – Climate Engagement Coordinator : 6-18 November
- Peter Levi – Energy Analyst - Industry: 7-11 November
- Leonardo Paoli – Clean Transport Analyst : 13-16 November