Active Travel England - Investments in walking and cycling infrastructures
The planned investments seek to increase bike lanes, fund wider pavements and cycle and bus-only corridors as part of a GBP 250 million emergency active travel fund - the first stage of a GBP 2 billion investment. The scheme is part of the GBP 5 billion new funding which had been announced in February 2020 for cycling and buses, but was fast-tracked because of the pandemic.
The policy includes plans to
- create 150 miles of protected cycle track, and Transport for London, which plans a "bike Tube" network above Underground lines.
- GBP 50 Vouchers will be issued for cycle repairs and discounts will be attributed to employees on the purchase of a new bike through the "Cycle to Work scheme".
- bring E-scooters for trial as of June 2020.
- build more protected cycle routes in towns and improve the National Cycle Network, with higher standards for cycling infrastructure
- boost investment by creating a long term cycling programme and budget to ensure a guaranteed pipeline of funding.
- set up a new national e-bike programme, and encourage more frequent usage of e-bikes.
Want to know more about this policy ? Learn more