In 2020, the Government of Scotland announced nearly GBP 1.6 billion of funding over the next parliament (5 years) to transform buildings to ensure that emissions from heating are eliminated by 2040 and remove poor energy efficiency as a driver of fuel poverty.
The announcement will increase low carbon heating and energy efficiency spending from GBP 112 million in 2019/20 to GBP 398 million p.a. in 2025-26 and will include:
• At least GBP 95 million to decarbonize the public sector estate
• Opening the GBP 50 million Green Recovery Low Carbon Infrastructure Transition Programme (LCITP)
• Up to GBP 50 million to invest in significant energy efficiency improvements to the Royal Botanic Gardens in Edinburgh
• GBP 25 million for zero carbon energy infrastructure and heat networks for residential and commercial premises along the river Clyde's path
• Additional GBP 55 million to support scale up of energy efficiency programs