“ELECTRA” is a programme with a budget of EUR 640 million for the period 2020-2026, to improve the energy efficiency of the public buildings through interventions related to the typical use of each building and heating, cooling, ventilating, lighting etc. Buildings included in the “ELECTRA” Programme will be classified in energy efficiency level B after the interventions, in accordance with the current Building Energy Efficiency Regulation (CENAK). This program will run during the period 2020-26 under the control of Ministry of Environment and Energy and be funded by the Deposit and Load Fund (TSI) of the European Investment Bank (EIB).
The EIB announced that it would support the policy with a budget of EUR 375 million.
Program started its operations in 2022, and mobilized additional private funding. Together, public and private funds reached 1 billion EUR to support this programme.
Criteria for the selection and inclusion of projects in the "ELECTRA" program:
- Legally existing buildings.
- To belong to the categories of Energy Class from C to H.
- Not to have undergone a radical renovation.
- The energy upgrade should concern the whole building and not parts of it, as well as a "group" of buildings of the same body in one application.
- The operations should concern a useful area of more than 500 m², per application.
- To belong to the property of the prospective beneficiary. In case the proposed buildings are not privately owned, the concession in force is required for a period of at least 15 years in the future.
- To have a Primary Earthquake Control Card, based on the Greek Earthquake Regulation and not to have been classified in the category "Vulnerable".
- The proposed interventions should relate exclusively to energy efficiency improvement works.
- Adequate documentation of the improvement of energy efficiency after the completion of the projects.
- Proposed projects must comply with the minimum requirements of the Building Energy Efficiency Regulation (KENAK).
- The submission of a documented budget and implementation schedule.
- Economic viability.
- The elaboration of an Energy Efficiency Plan where required by law.