The Australian Regional and Remote Communities Reliability Fund will provide up to AUD 50.4 million over 5 years from 2019-20 to 2023-24. The Fund supports feasibility studies that examine microgrid technology as a way to replace, upgrade, or complement existing energy supply arrangements in off-grid and fringe-of-grid communities in regional and remote locations. Microgrids could provide more dependable, secure, and cost-effective electricity supply choices for Australia's regional and distant towns. The intended outcomes of the Fund are:
- viable projects to support scale-up and implementation of microgrid systems in regional and remote communities
- increased human capital (skills and knowledge) in the design and deployment of microgrids
- demonstrated commerciality and/or reliability and security benefits of deploying and upgrading microgrids
- reduced barriers to microgrid uptake in remote and regional communities
- increased dissemination of technology and/or project knowledge regarding the deployment and upgrading of microgrids.