In March 2022, the Portuguese government enacted the following measures to tackle soaring energy prices:
- Maintain, until June 30, 2022, the Tax on Petroleum Products (ISP) refund mechanism of the value of the increase in VAT revenue resulting from the increase in fuel price.
- Maintain, until the end of June 2022, the suspension of the increase in the carbon tax.
- Increase, during the month of March, the value of the AUTOvoucher from EUR 5 to EUR 20 per beneficiary.
- Increase subsidies to public transport sector.
- Allocated EUR 150 million from the Environmental Fund into the national electricity system to lower the network access tariff, which is sometimes responsible for half of what is paid by families and companies.