The Special Programme for the Use of Renewable Energy implements the 2008 Renewable Energy Development and Ficing for
The Special Programme for the Use of Renewable Energy implements the 2008 Renewable Energy Development and Ficing for Energy Transition Law.
The programme aims to spur the development of the renewable energy industry, diversify the national energy portfolio and expand rural electrification using renewable energy sources.
The programme is organized along six strategies:
- 1) Information gathering and dissemination;
- 2) Development of instruments for the use of RE;
- 3) To expand electrification through RE;
- 4) Promotion and development of RE;
- 5) Infrastructure development and regulation, and
- 6) Research and Technological Development.
The programme also aims to reach the voluntary target of 7.6% of total installed power capacity coming from RE (without large hydros) and to reach 3.9% of the total power generation by the year 2012. It also includes the objective to start a rural electrification program that would benefit communities that lack power supply.