This standard applies to air conditioners that, according to the ISO 5151:1994 standard, are:
- single phase
- direct expansion of refrigerant gas
- divided type or unit type
- without distribution of air by ducts
- up to a thermal power of 12 kW (42000 Btu/h)
- condensed by air
Airconditioners cannot be sold by the manufacturer and/or importers in the Chilean market if they have a energy rating inferior to A, meaning that only air conditioners with an energy efficiency index (índice de eficiencia energética - IEE) superior to 3.20 will be allowed on the market. Concerning compact air conditioners, only those with an IEE is above 3.00 will be permitted to be sold.
The regulation will enter into force according to the following schedule:
- 9 months - Only commercialization approvals for class A and B equipment can be issued.
- 21 months - Only commercialization approvals for class A equipment can be issued.