National Energy Conservation Programme (PROCEL) Industry
The main objective of the Procel Industry programme is to promote the adoption of efficient best practices by the industrial sector as well as small and medium-sized enterprises. Procel fosters energy efficiency in these two sectors by optimizing production systems, especially drives, i.e., electrical and mechanical installations, electric motors, couplings, driven loads and end use. Among the activities carried out is the development of computational and manual tools, as well as energy audits.
Under this programme, Eletrobras has worked in partnership with industry federations to build capacity for 2,900 industry technicians from 690 industries.
This programme has also supported the implementation of a network of 14 laboratories to optimize motor-driven systems.
Details of the Procel Industry programme are updated annually in the Procel Resource Allocation Plans.
For instance, the 2017 plan included:
1) Implementation of energy efficiency pilot projects in two large segments of the industrial sector, with an emphasis on the optimisation of drive systems and the implementation of the ISO 50.001 certification. The funding in 2017 will be spent on the following activities:
- promote a national program for the optimization of industrial drive systems, with the first phase being focused on compressed air systems, and stimulate the implementation of ISO 50.001. This phase will include a training program for companies specialised in energy efficiency in the industrial sector. These companies will then undertake energy audits in 250 industrial plant. These industries will be incentivised to implement an energy metering and monitoring system based on the criteria of ISO 50.001.
- creation of a National Energy Efficiency Program for industrial installations in small and medium entreprises (SMEs). The first phase will be to identify the three largest sectors (in terms of billing) of the SMEs industrial sector. Next, lines of funding will be defined and disseminated for energy efficiency projects in SMEs. The next step will include a basic training course in order to train specialists in the three key sectors identified, who will then undertake energy audits in the participating SMEs. There will be a marketing campain to sensitise SMEs in energy efficiency concepts, and to disseminate word about the Program.
2) The creation of energy efficiency indicators in drive systems and industrial benchmarks, the stimulation of networking between different drive system laboratories, and the development of computational tools, databases and case studies for technical and financial solutions.
3) The implementation of the "Programa Aliança para Eficiência Energética" program in 12 industrial plant.
4) Integrate the PROCEL program with the "Brasil Mais Produtivo com Foco em Eficiência Energética" Program
Want to know more about this policy ? Learn more (Portuguese)