Energy Performance Certificates

Last updated: 5 November 2017
The Ministry for Housing, Communities and Local Government (DCLG) is responsible for making sure buildings in the UK meet the standards required by the EU Energy Performance of Buildings Directive. The Directive requires that all properties (homes, commercial and public buildings) must have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) when sold, built or rented; larger public buildings over 500m must display a Display Energy Certificate (DEC); all air-conditioning systems over 12 kW must be regularly inspected by an Energy Assessor. EPCs are produced by accredited energy assessors using standard methods and assumptions about energy usage. This means that the energy efficiency of one building can easily be compared with another building of the same type. This allows prospective buyers, tenants, owners, occupiers and purchasers to see information on the energy efficiency and carbon emissions from their building so they can consider energy efficiency and fuel costs as part of their investment. An EPC includes a recommendation report that lists cost-effective and other measures to improve the building's energy rating.

Want to know more about this policy ? Learn more